So much as changed since we last gathered together for a concert in December 2019. And we've changed too, adapting for survival. But one thing hasn't changed: we're still here making music thanks to you. ECMC is still creating, commissioning, collaborating, and serving our wide community of musicians, who continue to come together in song as healing for you as it is for us.
Thanks to our gracious donors, ECMC was able to accomplish a lot in the 2020-2021 season:
- Over 25 singers rehearsed weekly over Zoom from March 2020 through April 2021, learning new repertoire and sharing social space.
- ECMC launched Patreon, where over 50 subscribers signed up to receive exclusive audio, video, and behind-the-scenes content from the chorus.
- Singers safely went into a recording studio in the Fall and Spring to record pieces for Coming About and hu-MAN.
- ECMC employed 7 out of work musicians as collaborators, and we paid them at a higher rate this season and within 24 hours of service, in an effort to support musicians affected by the pandemic.
- Members have reimagined a more equitable audition process that precludes bias based on education, experience, race, or identity.
- ECMC maintains our abiding commitment to adding new music to the repertoire for men's voices, through commissions and our biennial Composer In Residence program.
- Every member was interviewed for hu-MAN, a new video concert that tells the stories of our diverse ensemble, which was released in May 2021 with a curated repertoire based on one-on-one conversations with each singer.
Here's the thing though: this innovative work is only possible with the support of our audiences and donors. You, who file into pews for our concerts, cry with us during Ave Maria, clap with us in song, are the foundation of our community. You enable music to be a balm for us all when we need it most. Can we count on you today?